Saturday, November 22, 2008

Townes Van Zandt

Townes.  I don't know who in this world can write songs, living or dead, as he could.  My faithful readers, of which there are few, I know.  I am getting divorced.  This man has gone through so much shit and kept on going until he really couldn't.  He is the equivalent of a song sampled by a million hip hop boys.  Tons copied him.  He was an original, wrote about life in a way that nobody could really do as well.   Simply unmistakable.  Moreso, I hear him and he gives me this odd hope.  Most of us are not TVZ and that is a blessing.  On the other hand, if we were TVZ without the afflictions, we would be able to say whatever we wanted.

1 comment:

Left Field said...

One of my favorite quotes from another great songwriter:

"Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." --Steve Earle