Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Boss and What He Means To Me

There have been countless numbers of fans who have seen Springsteen......countless numbers.  Yet, I guess all I can do is personalize my experience of seeing him.  Incredible.  He is 62, I'm 38.  I cant imagine all that he exerted at once.  Did I also mention I'm an ESL teacher?  I have to give all I got for 2 hours and 35 minutes after a break because I'm tired.  I bought into his sincerity because it isn't bullshit.  He really wants you to walk away from his show and feel good.  He wants you to go home and feel perplexed as I do now because most of what you thought was a "good" or "great" show can't hold up to him.  It is impossible to watch his show and think he doesn't care what "you" think.  And, that is what is what makes Broooooce, Brooooooce.  I didn't think it was possible.  The last stadium show I had seen made me doubt the entire idea.  But, I was......speechless.....and I felt everything he wanted me to feel.....There was only one song from Nebraska.  It came and went.  There was Born to Run.  There wasn't Atlantic City.  There was Johnny 99.  Damn, it was awesome.  Just can't believe I was so close to him.....

So, back to home.  After my mom died, I listened to Philadelphia  as if the song couldn't end.  It was on repeat.  It still makes me cry.

There was no reason for Bruce to play that song on Wednesday.  If you wanna know why it has resonance with me, then just e-mail me....

There was no Atlantic City.....Yet he spoke of ghosts.  And anything he played at that point could have brought back a million scary memories.  Instead, he just made me hold Leigh in ways I hadn't before.  Or, more so, she held me in ways she hadn't seen me before.  And on, and on....

No comments: